Re: Re: running cat5e outside

It doesn't have to be a hit on the house, even a strike some way off can induce a pulse into the cables, if they are shielded or have earthed cores running inside this will help protect the equipment on the other end. And yes Mark a direct strike will probable wipe out all your kit so make sure you have it well insured.

Alancc
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: running cat5e outside

I'm not an expert, but if lightning hit and entered a particular cable run then everything in its path would be destroyed. Also bear in mind that all our equipment racks should have a good earth attached and as such provide a good return to earth !

This happened a few years ago (286 days), I had a serial lead attached to my PC at the time. The lightning jumped about 2m onto the serial cable and entered the pc via the serial port. Luckily everyone was out at the time, but the lightning's path could be traced via the burn marks etc. It even damaged TV's, video's etc in the neighbours houses !

Ian D