Re: Automatic TV listings: Was RE: http://zz9.dnsq.org

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Automatic TV listings: Was RE: http://zz9.dnsq.org
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:42:13 -0000

> I'm wondering about approaching Digiguide, and asking if they'd add an
> XML version of their database for subscribers. I much prefer XML over
> CSV because if the format changes then you don't need to rewrite the
> code that uploads it into the database - also, you don't have problems
> with whether text strings are enclosed in quotes or not, text strings
> including new lines etc.

I've already tried contacting Digiguide and asking them - I subscribe to
both the Digiguide and myDigiguide (which allows Aventgo usage) services,
so
felt as I was a double subscriber, it wouldn't do any harm to ask (I even
offered to pay an additional subscription to allow me to download the data
in XML or CVS format).

Unfortunately, they didn't like the idea... However this is something I can
understand - If they allowed people to download raw data, then there's
nothing stopping someone from creating a rival site (wouldn't be hard to do
at all... The tricky thing is getting the data in the first place).

It's worth another go, but I'd be surprised if you get anywhere!

Adam.