http://zz9.dnsq.org

  • To: "UK HomeAutomation Mail List" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: http://zz9.dnsq.org
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:46:33 -0000

> So how does the TV Guide work?

Ah yes, I was just about to reply to your e-mail, but I may as well do it
here.

Basically, I have a bit of code which simply does a screen-scrape of a TV
Listings web site (anything will do, Yahoo, Digiguide, anything like that).
I schedule a script to run every couple of days to pickup the latest
listings, and then import them into a SQL Server database.

The nice thing about having them in a database is that once I have TV
listings in there, I can do pretty much anything with them... the "Now
and
next" page on the site just does a DB query - It also means that I can
use
the scheduling in Homeseer to automatically set-up voice reminders to
remind
me a few minutes before a program starts (Homeseer basically reads the
database, speaks the reminder, then checks for the next thing on my
"things
to watch" list, and creates an event for the next one).  Digiguide
will do
that, but not as flexibly (for example, "The house" knows when
I'm out, or
asleep, so won't bother announcing programs then).

It also means that with help of the Pronto I have a button which will speak
via the ceiling speakers the current "now and next" list - And
other buttons
which give me more details on whatever is on a specific channels.

All works rather well... Just a shame that all this is simply to stop me
>from

Adam.