OT: Increasingly unrealistic old IT stories WAS Re: OT Home Highway, is it worth it?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT: Increasingly unrealistic old IT stories WAS Re: OT Home Highway, is it worth it?
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:44:51 -0000

Stone tablets, eh? Hark at "Mr. Digital"...

When I was first a programmer, the code was a series of instructions
given by the priesthood to the assembled masses, and carried out in
physical labour in the fields of Sumeria. I remember those who talked
about the introduction of "solid-stone" memory, but if
word-of-mouth
replication was good enough for the high priest, it was good enough for
me!

Results within a day - pah - we didn't know if our planting algorithms
had worked until winter!

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher