RE: digital TV and distribution wiring - KAT5 or Coax?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: digital TV and distribution wiring - KAT5 or Coax?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:20:37 -0000

Hi Tom,

I have always advocated running a coax to each designated TV point.

Running several CAT5 cables will allow you to use KAT5 or whatever else you
wish.

The announcement of the new boxes from PACE sounds great at first glance
but
when you look at what is available Free To Air, there is very little. The
main channels with decent content are and always will be Pay TV channels.
Whilst SKY have recently become a little more accomodating allowing you to
have additional viewing cards the same as your main card for an extra
£12
per month, that is still a lot of money and very few people could justify
or
afford  a separate SKY box in each room.

Even if they could, a condition of the subscription is that the boxes are
all connected to the same fixed telepone line. Either way, you need a CAT5
cable for KAT5 distribution or a CAT5 cable for the phone line.

Run att least one co-ax (probably little need for 2 although it makes it
easier if you have a satellite decoder) and multiple CAT5 cables.

I know I have a vested interest in people installing CAT5 cable but I think
there has been more than enough comment here about people not installing as
much CAT5 as they should :-)

HTH

Keith