Re: [OTish] PIC Convert....

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:32:38 +0000, you wrote:

>andy_powell_is wrote:
>>=20
>> The problem is that there is just too much information on the PIC.
>> really want a 'getting started' or 'moving from the Basic Stamp to
>> PIC' type book or set of documents.
>
>Make sure you get the datasheet for the device you're using from
>http://www.microchip.com/ -
while you're there, have a look at some of
>the application notes in microchip's design centre. You'll be referring
>to the data sheet frequently. Have a look at http://www.piclist.com/ -
>they have some good resources, especially for the beginnner.

I'd second both those recommendations - you'll find a huge amount of
information there.

To get started you can knock up some very simple test circuits on
stripboard.  If you stick to about 4MHz or less it'll run no problems,
and all you need to add are a crystal, some capacitors, and a voltage
regulator to get it up and running.

You can drive LEDs and things like piezo sounders directly from the
ports if you make sure you're not taking too much current, to give you
some simple outputs, and simple switches for inputs are easy to hook up.

If you want a really cheap and simple programmer, have a look at

http://www.picwiser.com/2bit_article.htm

A friend of mine just built one, and he says it works great, with no
problems.

The one I use was bought a kit from Magenta Electronics :-

http://www.magenta2000.co.uk/kits/862.htm

for about =A330, does most of the flash programmable ones, and was very
easy to put together.

Personally I'm addicted to PIC's and see them as a sort of electronic
Swiss Army knife :-)

David P.