RE: CM11 Range Problems.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: CM11 Range Problems.
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:51:07 -0000

Hi Ian,

check the mains filters.

If they are filtered plugboard inteded to provide a clean supply to PC's
then they will have whacking great capacitors in them to soak up any noise
(read X10 signals) on the mains.

Shut down all your PC's and remove the plugboards from the mains sockets
and
see what range you get then. Then one by one plug stuff in until you find
the culprit.

The basic problem is that anything with a switchmode PSU will generate
noise
on the mains power supply. To overcome this the manufactures fit filters to
soak it all up.

X10 is a deliberately introduced interference signal and will be absorbed
by
any such filters. If you have some kit that isnt filtered properly the mush
coming out of it will swamp the X10 carrier.

for a filter to work properly with X10 it need to be like this....

MAINS	- Filter ------- Equipment

L ----- CHOKE -------- Device L
CAP
N ----- CHOKE -------- Device N

The choke prevents th X10 signal getting as far as the Capacitor across L
&
N which would kill it stone dead.

It may also be that it isnt a single device causing your problems but a
combination of several devices eack of which is absorbing a certain amount
of the X10 signal until it drops to a level where it cannot propogate over
the mains wiring as you would like.

HTH

Keith