RE: Re: Dwindling serial ports

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Dwindling serial ports
  • From: "Ian B" <Ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:27:14 -0000

I have just received a USB to serial device costing £30. Two points to note
though. The serial connector is solder contacts and the unit outputs ttl
voltages not true serial voltages. The best answer here is to add a Maxim
converter chip to get the +- 12 volts from the 5 and 0 of the unit. I can
help with the connections if anyone wants. Sometimes you can get away with
ttl voltages, trial and error. The devices are from www.ftdichip.com and
come uncased. Look under evaluation kits to find them. They come with
royalty free drivers to make the port appear as a com port.

Ian