Re: Media PC

> > That's a bit unfair.  You can get a perfectly stable Windows
> > machine with a bit of fiddling here and there.
>
> True ... But then when you start using it it just buggers up!

I suppose it depends how you define 'using' and 'buggers up' ;-)

> I originally built a PC to use as a DVD player and the intention was
> just to use it as a testbed to see whether it could be done without a
> keyboard and mouse and without a monitor. It was appauling ... The
> delays that windows introduced whilst it span up drives and read disc
> TOCs was just unbearable when you had no idea what it was doing.

Apart from the dodgy graphics card (hardware failure from power spike), my
WinXP box was great.  It's being rebuilt as a Win98 box when my new grapics
card arrives, and I anticipate it to be as good as my standalone DVD
player.

> > Some DVD-ROM drives are a little dodgy as they spin at such a
> > high speed. As with CD-ROMs, the slower they spin, the better
> > they cope with errors. You can get software which will slow
> > down your CD/DVD drive which is great for both noise and errors.
>
> The thing is though, this Kryton was supposed to be the dogs danglies
> but it was still outperformed in every respect apart from the fact
that
> it was possible to run it in high resolutions by the cheapest and
> shittiest standalone DVD players that they had there.

This Kryton doesn't seem too special to me.  There are a number of things
be improved on I see at just a quick glance.

Andy
--
PC-Based Multimedia System
http://www.andylaurence.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pcbmms