RE: Media PC

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Media PC
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:15:26 -0000

> That's a bit unfair.  You can get a perfectly stable Windows
> machine with a bit of fiddling here and there.

True ... But then when you start using it it just buggers up!

I originally built a PC to use as a DVD player and the intention was
just to use it as a testbed to see whether it could be done without a
keyboard and mouse and without a monitor. It was appauling ... The
delays that windows introduced whilst it span up drives and read disc
TOCs was just unbearable when you had no idea what it was doing.

> Some DVD-ROM drives are a little dodgy as they spin at such a
> high speed. As with CD-ROMs, the slower they spin, the better
> they cope with errors. You can get software which will slow
> down your CD/DVD drive which is great for both noise and errors.

The thing is though, this Kryton was supposed to be the dogs danglies
but it was still outperformed in every respect apart from the fact that
it was possible to run it in high resolutions by the cheapest and
shittiest standalone DVD players that they had there.

Phil