Playlists on the Fiat Punto

  • To: "UKHA_D" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Playlists on the Fiat Punto
  • From: "Dan Khan \(Work\)" <dhk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:04:17 -0000

I've just had a major success with the Phillips Pronto and automating MusicMatch Jukebox - a proof of concept anyway.

Following on from my girder post the other day (free windows automation software at www.girder.nl), I managed to automate the basic music functions (play/stop/skip/shuffle/repeat/etc) so I can use them from my pronto (or punto as my mate likes to call it :-)

Tonight, I also managed to automate playing albums/playlists using my IR keyboard.  Just to prove the concept I knocked up a quick pronto panel containing three album names, learned from key-combinations on the IR keyboard.

Hey presto - access to my albums/playlists from the punto - all *without* having to put the TV on!

How it works:

I have based the IR on loading a 3 or 4 digit number into the registers in girder - each time a new number is sent the registers are shifted along to make space for the new number.  Thus if you have previously entered 12 and you press 3; 1 and 2 get left-shifted and 3 gets added to the end to make 123.  I have then setup another command (Add to playlist) to grab that number and construct the name of a playlist from it - playlist123.m3u for example.  This playlist and corresponding number will be auto-generated from the directory listing of my MP3s.

Thus the playlist listing on the pronto simply aliases the correct number for the playlist 1 - 2 - 3 for example and follows it with an "add to playlist" IR command.

It should now be a simple task of scripting all of my MP3s to generate playlists so I can update numbers/title when I add new albums or music.  I have already seen tools on remotecentral.com for auto-generating ccf panels for playlists - hopefully this should be pretty easy to accomplish.

So, the result is that I can use my punto to control my jukebox as if it were a CD player and also provide album/playlist selection - wahoo!

After figuring out how to use the girder software, I am very pleased with the results.  I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg since just about anything can be automated - next is to provide a pronto button to turn off my lounge PC.

-Dan.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor