RE: Re: UKHA Newsgroup Update

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: UKHA Newsgroup Update
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:10:55 -0000

Hey again everyone. I promise I will shut up and stop hassling you all
after
this one ... well I might made the odd progress report :)

We currently have 11 thumbs up for the group. IIRC we need a minimum 12 to
qualify for fast track, which we can apply for around January 22nd. So
although we are very close to that, we do seen some more people to show
interest. If you haven't had chance yet, please join us.

Google are now showing the discussion as are all of the news servers I have
checked so everyone who wants to give us any support should now be able to.
To access from google, I include the URL here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=uk.net.news.config

Or subscribe from your preferred newsreader to

uk.net.news.config

In both cases the thread is

2nd RFD: uk.tech.home-automation

It is looking good so far with no detractions (apart from those asking for
immiadte creation to wait the 10 days we have to :), but the more support
we
get, the better our chances are actually getting our own Usenet group and
avoiding the often long winded full CIF (Call For Votes) stage.

If anyone has any questions they wish to raise or are unsure about the
process involved in newsgroup creation, email me either in person or on
list
and I will try my best to answer.

For those people that would rather not get involved in the newsgroup
creation, or those that think it may risk changing the atmosphere of the
ukhad list. I think we have established that nobody has wanted to split the
group that has been built up in ukhad and I do not see this happening for
many reasons and fortunately that concern has not come up here on the list
this time, which is promising since the group feels strong enough to co
exist with other mediums (like the forums, the IRC and now the Usenet
group). At present we do lose potential list members to
comp.home.automation
for whatever reasons so there is a small group there who would probably
join
the new group immediately and will likely join the list as well.

I personally hope that the Newsgroup will allow UKHA one of the major
facilities previously available to us to extend the group as a whole. It
will also put is in contact with various similar groups for information on
things like SKY and TIVO so we made attract a whole new set of people to
the
group.

I have a number of ideas for building our community that I will begin
detailing over the next few weeks (time allowing) that I would like us all
to discuss. I hope some of my suggestions will put an end to the
increasingly frequent problems sometimes people have with the range and
quantity of discussion.

Mark.

wrote:
> > Just a quick note to let everyone know that the 2nd RFD for the
> > creation of the newsgroup uk.tech.home-automation has just been
> > submitted.
> >
> > It has not yet shown up in uk.net.news.announce on my news
server,
> > but once it shows up on your preferred news server, please show
> your
> > support in the discussion that is to take place in
> > uk.net.news.config.
> >
> > Assuming the right level of support and no major objections, the
> > group will hopefully go straight from this RFD to "fast
track" and