RE: Newbie questions about PIRs and motion detection

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie questions about PIRs and motion detection
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:07:26 -0000

No sorry Dan you got me wrong there, I have no Hawkeyes but I do have
the pet-immune detectors that are hard wired. I never fancied the
wireless stuff much as it's too unreliable for me.

I just use a wall wart set to 12V DC to power up the PIR's and run that
in alarm cable or CAT5 along with the signal wires, works fine.

K.

Hawkeye
> > and
> > > thus may have to consider a hard-wired solution to avoid my
6 cats
> > > triggering false detects.
> > >
> > [Kenneth Watt]
> >
> > I have three of them Dan and they work well with small dogs so
cats
> > should be fine.
> >
> > > I see there is a pet-immune PIR on letsautomate - how are
these
things
> > > normally wired up?  Can I attach a piece of CAT5 from it
back to a
> > central
> > > location, then connect it up to a controller (either alarm,
or
> > homevision,
> > > or similar?).  The PIRs seem to work on DC voltage 9-16V -
how is
the
> > > power
> > > normally routed to the PIR?
> > [Kenneth Watt]
> >
> > Power fed from a wall wart set to 12V DC in my case, then the
relay
of
> > the PIR connected to HV.
> >
> > Does an extra power cable have to be run to
> > > hold the power or can the power and signals be routed down
the
same
> > piece
> > > of
> > > CAT5?
> > [Kenneth Watt]
> >
> > Easier just to use alarm cable, although CAT5 is fine and leaves
you
> > pair of wires spare, just in case!
> >

> >   Where would the power come from to power all these PIRs (say I
> > > installed one in each room so prob 13-15 locations)?  Is
there any
way
> > > that
> > > I can trigger an X10 event when the PIR is triggered then
reset?
> > [Kenneth Watt]
> >
> > Very easily. Power can be supplied from a couple of wall warts or
> > suchlike, you could even use a wall wart with a higher amperage
and
> > power them all from one. But, IME, this is not necessary as they
do
not
> > consume a lot of power, I have eight powered at the moment from
one
bog
> > standard wall wart.
> >

> > > Is it recommended to route all PIR cabling back to a central
box
> > (similar
> > > those Krone connecting blocks that James Hoye installed
mentioned
> > few
> > > months back) and then connect the central controller to this
using
> > "patch
> > > leads".
> > [Kenneth Watt]
> >
> > IMO, no, I did not find this was needed although it may be
neater.

> > > Is installing the hard-wired PIRs a DIY job or something a
bit
more