RE: Newbie questions about PIRs and motion detection

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie questions about PIRs and motion detection
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:50:23 -0000

[Kenneth Watt]

I have three of them Dan and they work well with small dogs so cats
should be fine.

> I see there is a pet-immune PIR on letsautomate - how are these things
> normally wired up?  Can I attach a piece of CAT5 from it back to a
central
> location, then connect it up to a controller (either alarm, or
homevision,
> or similar?).  The PIRs seem to work on DC voltage 9-16V - how is the
> power
> normally routed to the PIR?
[Kenneth Watt]

Power fed from a wall wart set to 12V DC in my case, then the relay of
the PIR connected to HV.

Does an extra power cable have to be run to
> hold the power or can the power and signals be routed down the same
piece
> of
> CAT5?
[Kenneth Watt]

Easier just to use alarm cable, although CAT5 is fine and leaves you a
pair of wires spare, just in case!

Where would the power come from to power all these PIRs (say I
> installed one in each room so prob 13-15 locations)?  Is there any way
> that
> I can trigger an X10 event when the PIR is triggered then reset?
[Kenneth Watt]

Very easily. Power can be supplied from a couple of wall warts or
suchlike, you could even use a wall wart with a higher amperage and
power them all from one. But, IME, this is not necessary as they do not
consume a lot of power, I have eight powered at the moment from one bog
standard wall wart.

> Is it recommended to route all PIR cabling back to a central box
(similar
> those Krone connecting blocks that James Hoye installed mentioned a
few
> months back) and then connect the central controller to this using
"patch
> leads".
[Kenneth Watt]

IMO, no, I did not find this was needed although it may be neater.

> Is installing the hard-wired PIRs a DIY job or something a bit more
> serious...
[Kenneth Watt]

Doddle! Very easy to hook up to HV, just the cable runs that can p**s
you off ;-)

K.

HTH