NOW: SMT not so bad WAS: Re: IRDA repeater

SMT really isn't as daunting as it first looks! You can solder IC's of that
pitch fairly easily with a standard antex 15W iron with the finest bit
fitted.

The main problem for you would be, can you etch the pad lands for the IC
accurately enough on the PCB?
If so, the battle's half won.

What you need:
A pair of  angled tweezers
VERY fine solder (0.4MM low residue)
Liquid flux
solder braid
one of them gooseneck magnifiers with lamp buit in (if your eyes aren't up
to it)

First tin the PCB pad lands. Using the braid and liquid flux, remove all
traces of solder from the lands so they are silver but with no bumps of
solder on them.
Now Using the magnifier and tweezers, line up the IC on the lands. Once
lined up, press down firmly on the body of the IC with the tweezers, to
hold
it in place. Dab one side of the IC with liquid flux. Wet the iron with
almost NO solder. Touch the iron on the first pin on the IC. The liquid
flux
should draw traces of solder of the iron's bit and the PCB land to make a
joint between the two...If not add a trace more solder to the iron tip and
touch more flux to the IC and try again.
Do the same with the diagonally opposite pin. You can now remove the
tweezers and solder up the rest of the pins using the same method. If you
manage to get a solder bridge between two (or More!) pins, use the braid
soaked in liquid flux to remove....

The key is the liquid flux! I don't know if this is available to buy from
the likes of maplin / RS etc. We use it in work for SMT rework and It's
sprayed onto PCB's just before they enter the flow solder baths on a
production line.

If you were really stuck for flux, I might be able to acquire a small
amount
for you from work ;-) .... or maybe a small donation to one of our repair
guys beer funds would tempt him to solder them on for you during his break!
(depends on numbers really...I wouldn't want me or him getting into
trouble)

Neil