Wasted bandwidth Re: Kinda OT - UK P*ss up....erm....meeting!

Well, I wanted to send a flippant reply to Phil's "don't forget to
include me in the Scottish meAt" coz that's the most amusing typo I've
seen for ages ;).

But netscape wouldn't quote the original message properly.

So I looked at the source to see why.

I conclude that any discussion about wasted bandwidth due to off topic
posts yada yada yada etc etc pales into insignificance when you consider
the sheer amount of crap Yahoo bolts onto each and every message.
Consider the follwing:

eerie# ls -l yahoo*
-rw-r--r--    1 ant      544          8247 Jan 11 01:33 yahoo_email.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 ant      544           325 Jan 11 01:41
yahoo_email_relevant.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 ant      544         24301 Jan 11 01:35
yahoo_email_shite.gif

eerie# perl -
print 24301+8247,', ',325/(24301+8247)*100;
32548, 0.998525255007988

(excuse the cut&paste job)

So after trimming headers and generally making for a level playing
field, that's 1% Phil's pearls of wisdom*, and 99% inane Yahoo drivel.
Put another way, that's 32k of pointless shite for every email.
Bastards.

Makes you think eh? ;) Fortunately, thanks to the mighty bandwidth on
hand here at Fortress Ant, I don't actually care much, I just object to
it on general principles.

*: and half of that is quoting the previous message! Altho it's fairly
succint, so we have to give Phil full marks, bless him. Except we'd have
to take them away again for nasty MS-style follow-ups ;)

/me hides

ant
--
/\/\