Re: ON TOPIC!

> By the way - what does the d stand for in ukha_d:

The D stands for...

D'next time someone complains about the level of traffic and off topic posts on this mailing list I'm gonna send James Hoye round with his cordless drill and rawl bolt your knees to the floorboards!!!

> Seriously what does it really stand for?

The original list (UKHA) got too busy for the people that just wanted the weekly/monthly bulletins I used to do so the UKHA_D (for Discussion) was set up.

As a bit of nostalgia for all those who have been on the list from the beginning....here's the 2nd ever News bulletin I sent to the list almost 5 years ago!!  :-)

-------------------------------

26/6/97

Covered in this bulletin:-

o VERY HOT NEWS!
o CM11U
o Wall Dimmer Switches
o T3 Magazine
o Links to accompany these stories
o Signing Off

Hi People

Well...this is only the 2nd time UKHA has sent a message to the members of this list, but what news I bring you!!

o VERY HOT NEWS!
At last it seems like things are looking up for the UK Home Automation scene.  After talking to a UK supplier today I have learnt that X-10 units will shortly be available on High Streets all over the UK!

The chain of electronics stores, “Maplin”, is to stock X-10 products.  They have over 30 stores across the UK and starting from the 1st of September 1997 you will be able to buy X-10 over the counter.  I hope to bring more details of exactly what will be available soon but at present I can tell you they will be selling a range of plug-in modules, controllers and home security systems.

o CM11U
The best news to come out of the deal above is that the CM11U 2-way X-10 computer interface/controller will be available soon!  This will open up a new *affordable* method of controlling the X-10 modules in your home automatically.  The predicted RRP is £89.95.

o Wall Dimmer Switches
Apparently there is a fundamental difference between the UK wall dimmer switch and those made for the rest of the European markets.  This is what is causing the delay but hopefully there will be switches available sometime after the first units start arriving in September.

o T3 Magazine
T3 Magazine (Tomorrows Technology Today) from Future publications is considering doing a piece on HA in the UK.  I have subscribed to this magazine since issue 1 as it’s a gadget heads heaven.  I thought they should do an article on HA in the UK so I e-mailed the editor Steve Jarratt some time ago with little response.  Anyway another guy from the magazine (Mike Bedford) has now contacted one of the UK suppliers of X-10 units.  So let’s give T3 a nudge here.  Without letting on you know what you know ;-) please e-mail T3 and ask them to do an article on UKHA.  If this subject gets more media coverage it might actual take off in this country and then we wouldn’t all have to pay £35 for a lamp module while our lucky America friends get them for around £6!!

Your country needs you….e-mail them now on t3@xxxxxxx

o Links to accompany these stories

MAPLIN ELECTRONICS
http://www.maplin.co.uk/

CMIIU REVIEWS
http://www.asihome.com/active.html
http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/dec96/articles/director/lighting.htm

CMIIU SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD
http://www.x10.com/active.htm

T3 MAGAZINE
http://www.futurenet.com/techzone/default.htm

o Signing Off
Well….that’s it for now.  I’d appreciate some feedback guys, both on this e-mail and the format of the site in general.  Tell me what you like, what you don’t like (be kind) and what you’d like to see that isn’t already there (but bear in mind I’ve got a real job to do as well as run this site!)

“Happy Days”

Mark McCall

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

For more information: http://www..automatedhome.co.uk