RE: general wiring issue

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: general wiring issue
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:59:01 -0000

> I'm about to start wiring Cat 5 in my house.

Another convert ;)

> Because of the layout of the house, its VERY easy to
> add extra pulls later with NO channelling needed at all
> (are you all jealous yet - the advantages of 2 up 2 down
> terraced bliss - those Victorians obviously knew the future
> for house cabling...)

Lucky b*stard!

> my general Q is, assuming I'm re-routing my terrestrial
> TV coax back to Node 0 (under the stairs), do I need to bother
> running TV coax to each room as Mark did in his house, or
> should I just lay extra CAT5 to take the TV signals using KAT5?
>
> any thoughts?

Without casting judgement etc, well, CT100 coax from B&Q Warehouse (for
example) is around ?18/100m.  CAT5 is around ?35/300m.

An RF distribution amplifier can be had for around ?90 from the likes of
LetsAutomate KAT5 is around ?75/RX-TX pair.

An RF distribution amplifier will allow an RF source to be distributed to
many rooms, and a modulator (around ?35) will allow you to put a DVD output
in too.  You can daisy-chain KAT5 units to allow a single source to be
distributed to several rooms.

RF distribution will give you (comparatively) poor quality and MONO sound,
whereas KAT5 will allow you to use s-video (YC) and STEREO audio, with no
noticeable loss in quality (testimonials available from other list
members).
When the KAT5 switcher becomes available, any existing KAT5 modules will
still be compatible - so your investment is fairly protected.

I reckon KAT5 compares pretty favourably on cost in this instance, of
course, quality-wise it will leave RF standing - nice one Keith!

James H