Re: OT Microsoft System Management Server

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT Microsoft System Management Server
  • From: "u7412ay" <allan.smith@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:30:02 -0000

I work in an account where SMS is heavily deployed for control of
PC's, but unfortunately not in my area of expertise.
Only thing I can add is that it's primarily used here to distribute
software and upgrades to the various PC's on the network. I
understand that there is quite an art to building an 'SMS package'
which is the instructions on the software install on the remote PC's.
These days quite a few vendors are becoming SMS savy and including
SMS packaging options builtin to the product installation.
It is used to enforce a common operating environment (COE) which
basically means the users don't get to tamper with their desktops at
all.
They are moving the users to W2K and SMS manages all aspects of their
desktops.  If a user reports a problem with a product to the help
desk then a re-install of the product can be easily and quickly
scheduled. However, their is a downside... cock up the SMS packaging
and an awful lot of PC's suddenly get hit with bad software upgrades.
Good luck with the interview.
Regards
Allan