Re: [OT] WTF is happening to ukha_d?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [OT] WTF is happening to ukha_d?
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:22:49 -0000

I can symphonise with people who join this list and find the volume both
relevant and irrelevant too much to handle, I would prefer to be able to
filter out some of the OT stuff. However this is more than a news group,
the mainstay of the group is held together by a hard core of friends. We
go to each others houses, have a drink at a pub, help each other, borrow
equipment etc.

This inevitably means that topics will stray off the official line,
there is a social side to the group after all. There is also a warning
on the yahoo membership page about the level of posts and a monthly
summary since the group started.

We have had votes before about splitting the group and the mandate has
been to leave it as is but to "try" to mark OT posts.

So far as bandwidth is concerned it can be managed, but I would think
that most people interested in this group and the technology will not be
using modems to connect, many will have Home Highway (ISDN) or better,
many will have email servers which will be downloading the messages
automatically. People with modems will I suspect will be using a anytime
deal so the time to download will be less of a problem.

At the end of the day the volume of mails can be managed in various
ways.

If you use a email client with mail rules you could dump OT mails (if
they have been marked)

You could subscribe to the digest

You could just look at the web version and only read what you want

If I am away for a few days, I cannot read all the emails so I scan the
headers and after reading anything that appears interesting I delete the
lot, after a week away it takes about 30 mins. There may indeed be
content that I have missed but I don't have the time to anything else,
after all the topic may well come round again later.

I would just ask that if you stray OT please mark the message with OT in
the subject line, and let outlook do its job.

John