RE: FW: Shop@Kodak DX3700 Digital Camera

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: FW: Shop@Kodak DX3700 Digital Camera
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:10:13 -0000

> The "shop" metaphor has been discussed. Here's another view
of that:

> I see a product advertised in the shop window, at an exceptional, but
> believable price.
> I go to the Counter, and ask to purchase.
> I am asked how I wish to pay.
> I offer my credit card, which is swiped in an old fashioned
"paper" Visa
> machine.
> The Visa Slip is returned to me, as my receipt.
> I go to collect the goods, and am told *there* that the price is
wrong.

However, that is assuming the card has been swiped. The analogy is likely
be a guy just went to type the information into the till and told you
before
the card was swiped that the price was incorrect as is more likely to
happen
in a shop.

DG> I don't see how asking for CC details and entering them in a
database
and a customer giving authorisation for a specififc amount to be taken, can
not be considered payment. As far as I am concerned, entering my number,
expiry date and authorised amount into a database which will connect to
another database at another time, is payment. If I gave a shop two ten
pound
notes and they placed them in their drawer, subsequently taking them out
and
giving them back just because they havn't lodged them in the bank would be
my anology.

Des