Re: OT Microsoft System Management Server

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT Microsoft System Management Server
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:27:39 +0000

Stuart,

I'm *NO* expert on SMS, but I can tell you the following:

It is an enterprise system management product encompassing areas such as:

Asset management
Software metering
Remote control
Software distribution

With it, you can create hierarchichal views of an enterprise network, and
view the properties of all the windows PC's connected to that network. You
can view detailed hardware inventories for those PC's, and also detailed
software inventories, This includes servers as well as workstations. You
can
distribute software packages for automatic installation on any of those
machines. Once all this info is gathered into the SMS database (which uses
SQL server as the back end), you can the set up any number of reports and
queries, so you can get answers to questions like: "What PC's on my
network
meet the hardware requirements for an upgrade to Windows XP?" Once
that
report has been created, the machines which match can then be grouped into
seperate view, and the XP upgrade could be installed on them automatically.
Conversely, you could ask "what PC's don't meet the hardware
requirements,
and in each case, what hardware is lacking" - thus producing a
"things to
buy" list to upgrade all the remaining PC's. You can also use it to
control
software useage on your network - for example only allowing
"quake.exe" to
run at certain times of the day...

This is a *VERY* simplistic view of what I understand the product to be,
but
like I said, it's not my forte...

HTH.

Paul G.

>From: "Stuart Whyte" <lists@xxxxxxx>
>To: "UKHA" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] OT Microsoft System Management Server
>Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:43:06 -0000
>
>Gents
>
>I have an interview for a job next week (FINALLY!) which I have all the
>necessary skills/experience for, except one thing:  Microsoft System
>Management Server.  Could any one give me a brief overview of what it
is,
>what it does, and if its one of the BackOffice programs that you set up
and
>pretty much leave it to itself, or do I really need to know it well
enough
>not to be able to blag it with books.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Stuart