RE: FW: Shop@Kodak DX3700 Digital Camera

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: FW: Shop@Kodak DX3700 Digital Camera
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:24:05 -0000

Jon,

whilst not directly involved, I feel I have to point out something here.

You can't magic away a contract you don't like. If "mistakes"
could be
simply forgotten, then these forty million Finance companies hawking sucker
loans on Sky would go out of business in a day.

The Small Print argument here is not as powerful as it seems. This applies
in Scots law, but I suspect English Law has a direct equivelant: contracts
may not contain misleading terms, or terms which shift the balance of the
contract too far in one direction.
For instance, a contract which gave me the right to increase my prices
whenever I wished in the small print, and specifically stated that it could
not be cancelled within the time period, would almost certainly be deemed
as
invalid in a court of law.

The "shop" metaphor has been discussed. Here's another view of
that:

I see a product advertised in the shop window, at an exceptional, but
believable price.

I go to the Counter, and ask to purchase.

I am asked how I wish to pay.

I offer my credit card, which is swiped in an old fashioned
"paper" Visa
machine.

The Visa Slip is returned to me, as my receipt.

I go to collect the goods, and am told *there* that the price is wrong.

The reseller then proceeds to tear up their visa slip.

if this happened, would you accept it?

I would not. And as the TS people seem to have told Kenneth, Neither does
the law.

Ian.