RE: 1-wire network

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: 1-wire network
  • From: "Stainton-James, Mark (London)" <stainmar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:01:15 -0000

Title: Message
You may want to look at http://www.simat.enta.net/1wirehub.html  he has made an RJ45 8 port hub for 1-wire networks. You can also daisy chain one device to another.
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Gordon [mailto:paul_gordon@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 08 January 2002 15:32
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxxSubject: Re: [ukha_d] 1-wire network

No answers to your questions I'm afraid Quinten, but I'd be interested in
any answers you do get, as I may like to do much the same thing, and for the
same reason...

I have the Quasar temperature unit, and it is very good, but I'm also now
beginning to think that 4 locations really isn't going to be enough, and
while I could just add another one to get 8 probes, (which would be enough),
I don't like the idea of giving up another serial port for the purpose. - I
have 6 serial ports on my HA PC already, and they're all allocated!

COM1 = CM12U
COM2 = Quasar temperature logger
COM3 = Meteor Caller ID unit
COM4 = IRMAN IR receiver
COM5 = Comfort UCM
COM6 = Applied Digital Ocelot (Xmas pressie, was previously the Quasar relay
board)

I may try to add 1 more via a USB-serial adapter, and put the Meteor CID
unit on that, (especially as I can't utilise it at present, as NTL say they
don't currently "do" Caller-ID). Also, I can use the Ocelot for temerature
reading as well I believe, - I know there are "Bobcat" modules available for
reading temp into it, but I think these are a bit pricey... Another
alternative would be to do away with the CM12, and use the Ocelot for X10 as
well, but I think I've heard bad things about that... I seem to remember
reading that the Ocelot doesn't do X10 very well? (Are there any Ocelot
users here who can tell me anything about this?)

Paul G.

>I'm very keen on having a 1-wire network installed in my home to monitor
>the
>temperatures in each of my rooms (approx 10 locations). I also would like
>do this using my PC and after reading up on the Dallas site I'm a lot
>wiser.
>My problem however is that I'm a complete dud with electronics and couldn't
>tell a resistor from a diode.
>
>And here in lies my problem. All information about this describes how you
>(from a component manufacturer point of view) can create the most wonderful
>equipment with this, but nothing is there for an end-user (like me). I did
>have a look at the kit that Quasar is offering and that sounds just great,
>if only it didn't have the 4 probes limitation.
>
>Is there anyone on this list who has succesfully implemented something like
>this?

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor