RE: [ukha_d] [Bargain] Kodak 3.1 Mp camera for £100

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [Bargain] Kodak 3.1 Mp camera for £100
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:17:39 -0000

Yes and No !!

Bearing in mind the following notes are based on a DX3600 not a DX3700.

I was going to draft a little note to you guys just to pre-warn you on the steps to go through when you receive the camera. Basically, the batteries need to be re-cycled several times before they accept their full charge. The first camera I got was returned as a DOA because I failed to do this. The supplied documentation is misleading as it doesn’t tell you to do this.

It will be supplied with an easy dock cradle which acts as the recharger and the usb dock. On the dock there is an LED which emits:

RED: Recharging

GREEN: Fully charged

GREEN (FLASHING): USB connection in progress

When you get the new camera and put it in the cradle it will go RED as you would expect but will change to GREEN in a relatively short time (not two and a half hours as indicated in the documentation). You’ll think excellent, pick it up and it will be dead as a dodo L. I tried this 2 or 3 times, got totally pissed off and arranged for replacement. The same happened with the replacement. However, if you go through this process 5 or 6 times, the camera will burst into life and start charging properly. Best to give it a good workout and discharge the batteries another couple of times for safe measure.

I know it is a pain and don’t fully understand why they can’t get round this at the factory but once it’s done, the batteries charge up OK and have a decent usage time. It may be the firmware update has fixed this regardless.

On the plus side, the camera is simplicity itself to operate and is really just point and shoot. There is very little (read no) manual adjustment of anything. You can select the pic resolution, change to macro mode and adjust flash type (auto, red eye and fill) but that’s about it. My DX3600 is a 2.1 megapixel and at best quality produces pics at 1800 x 1200. The quality of the snaps are excellent to my untrained eye, in fact the reason I bought one was due to the review in PC Pro where it got 5 stars for value for money but this was at £321 !! It came top in the “Interior Overall” section with a comment of “…overwhelmed by the DX3600s image quality” I found one for £250 and paid another £30 for a 64MB ram card.

It does come with some Kodak picture software on CD but there are new releases on the Kodak website so download them if required. I found the Kodak software to be a bit slow and just use the inbuilt picture software with XP. Works a treat.

Looking at the spec of the DX3700 I have noticed some other differences from the DX3600:

Lack of Optical Zoom: DX3600 has a 2x Optical zoom plus 3x Digital whereas DX3700 only has 3x Digital. Pity but hardly used optical zoom anyway. In some respects, it probably makes the DX3700 more robust and saves on battery life as the mechanics for moving the optical lens on the DX3600 appear a bit fragile and take a few second to start up when you switch the camera on.

Lack of Video snaps: DX3600 can take quicktime movies. Bit gimmicky as the quality of the clips are cr*p so no great loss there.

For £100 including the 32MB ram card and photo paper (!) you really can’t go wrong with this offer. Anyway, it better be OK as both my brother and sister in law have bought one as well!!

Cheers

Don

PS anyone want a 2nd hand DX3600 for £150. No…thought not L