RE: Pollite Request.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Pollite Request.
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:59:20 -0000

> Here we go again!
>
> I DO trim off all the crap at the bottom in my replies.  As for the
> Outlook stuff - that's there just to piss off the Linux users! :)

Not everyone does though, I have seen a number of messages with multiple
ads, while the HTML ads soon increase message size. I may well have been
guilty myself from time to time of not snipping enough, but since I usually
post conversation style rather than top posting, it is easier to see what
trim.

> We had a big discussion on this not that long ago and the consensus
was
> pretty much the majority didn't want any change in the
"chat" on the
> list.

The way I read it, I think Stuart was merely asking for people to trim
stuff
(which every time the topic comes up everyone agrees with) and reduce HTML
(which is IMO unnecessary for an email list and definitely the "me
too"
messages which are often very extreme in HTML) rather than reducing chat,
which the group has proven time and time again is obviously never going to
happen :)

The group even came up with it's own "rules" at one point to try
and help
matters so I don't think anyone is being particularly stubborn.

It is a shame Yahoo "broke" their text only settings inherited
from egroups
which would mean people could post terabytes of HTML while members could
choose only to receive the relevant bytes of text and have now fuxored the
web interface as well :(

While on the Yahoo soapbox, is Yahoo or Demon the cause of the large delays
these days! Often I see the original message a long time after the
conversation which follows forcing me to piggy back since I do not know
when, sometimes if, I will ever get the original!

Mark.