Re: Running an American X10 Device

> Karl Moore wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone!  :)
>
> Quick question, following on from my earlier query.
>
> Can I run an American X10 device just by slotting on a UK-USA adapter?
> There a lot cheaper over there and I don't need to worry about
> aesthetics where I'm gonna be stickin 'em. Would this work? Anyone
> done it?

Yes, I have for my cm11a and a few modules that run 110 volt appliances
that I have.

Few issues. THe transformer will block the transmittions from being
reliable. You will need to couple the 2 sides of them. If its an
autotransforemr type, you only need to add a capacitor.

If its an isolation transformer, then you need to bridge the 2 neutrals
yourself. This negates the isolation of it so you may as well get the
cheaper autotransformer types. If you are bridging neutrals yourself,
before you install the capacitor measure the AC voltage between the
phase on the 230 side and the phase on the 110 side - there should be
120ish there, if there is 350 volts, you have bridged to the wrong end
of the 110 winding. Once thats right, measure the voltage on the 110
side to earth, there should be 0ish on the neutral pin, and 110 on the
other pin.

The capacitor needs to be an X rated one (not a dirty movie rating!) -
they are rated for across the powerline use for suspression of RF - they
are in the radio suspression section of the RS catalog. Put it after any
input fuses/circit breakers of the transformer so its protected. As you
have fuesed plugs there there may not be a fuse in the transformer
itself.

I will take some photos of one I have modded somestage and put them on
my lame website..