Re: To those who are doubting CAT5's long term future

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: To those who are doubting CAT5's long term future
  • From: "Calum Morrell" <calum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:16:47 -0000

I'm not impressed. That would appear to be primarily for pre-existing
phone infrastructure, not a fresh or recent install.

The 5000ft potential run length is very promising, especially if they
can migrate that to cat5e in the near future. The speed is somewhat
less astounding however and I believe cisco to be on the ambitious
side of marketing by claiming the ability to run voice, video and
data simultaneously on a link which they claim will be in the range
of 5 to 15 mbps [and that's quite a difference they're offering]. I
can barely cope on 10mbps, and tests on 100mbps switched still show I
hit the ceiling far too often ... that's only 5 wee machines on a
noddy home lan.

I would also like to point out that running voice, video and data
over a telecoms install is nothing new. The company I worked for a
few years ago [a small systems pbx and handset manufacturer] was
doing it in 1996 with speed approaching 8mpbs ... and it certainly
wasn't capable of it then.

If they continue to develop it [as I am sure they will] and migrate
the benefits to cat5e I'll take another look. Until then it's just
another tired old product technology being repackaged and remarketed
to try to prove they have the most solutions for a tight market.

Me? Cynical? never ...

On 5 Jan 2002 at 18:06, Graham Butler wrote:

> http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/ts_122701.html
>
> Well, any wire really :-)

Calum Morrell