Re: Conduit to run cable outside

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Conduit to run cable outside
  • From: "psghome2002" <psghome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:49:58 -0000

....and as soon as you start wiring it all up you just know you'll
find a use for a 5th and 6th cable :(

--- In ukha_d@y..., "James Hoye" <james.hoye@s...> wrote:
> This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet.
> http://www.thefreeinternet.net
>
> > James Hoye is doing this TODAY!
>
> > James??
>
> Well, I ran some 20mm galvanised steel conduit from the barge
board (access to lft) to about a foot above ground level (access to
back of newly fitted dual back box) earlier this year to carry my TV
and FM aerial downleads.

> Thanks to Mark CAT5 Flipping McCall and you lot with all your
bargains (DDAR, TiVo, Book PC) I took the plunge and started cabling
with CAT5.  I have spent ALL afternoon getting the RG59 downleads
out (going to cable tie CT100 to the conduit instead) and running 4
x CAT5 down it.  It was a real sod because it's about 5m in length
(no bends thankfully) and I had to feed the bundle of CAT5s down a
few inches at a time on my own.

> Of course, 20mm conduit restricts you to at maximum 4 x CAT5
(fewer if it has bends, believe me), and you need a special
threading (as possibly bending) tool.  It looks OK though.  Mark
Harrison has used ventilation ducting (bathroom/kitchen extractor
fan stuf) and you can get LOTS of CAT5 in it :)