Re: Fibre, was PBXs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Fibre, was PBXs
  • From: "P G" <psghome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 12:18:17 +0000

But of course, some of the kit you've just moved actually looks pretty good
(and who wants a minimalist room?). So you place a couple of cameras in
node
zero, pointing at the kit and send the pics back across the fibre
(uncompressed of course - may need several fibres!) to a plasma tv
displaying all the images in one neat package!

>From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Fibre, was PBXs
>Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:05:42 -0000
>
>Got it!!
>
>The application, right here, right now, that *demands* fibre!
>
>if there's another way to do this, you know who to tell, :D.
>
>You move your showshifter/Mp3/ents PC to node Zero, but you want the
"real
>world" interface of firstly having your DVD cases looking nice in
a rack,
>and secondly placing the disk in the drive beside the TV.
>
>you can get LAN>IDE drivers, and a nice little enclosure, but the
bandwidth
>is a bit ropey for DVD playback.. Instead, you can get a SCSI DVD-ROM
>Drive,
>an F-CAL bridge, and run it over fibre to you SCSI-F-CAL card on the
PC..

>Or have I just notched up a grand worth of kit to do the same job as
buying
>a £100 domestic DVD player?
>
>hmmm. ;)
>
>Ian.

] be
>saying
> > > "screw cat5, I use fibre" to ensure a little bit
more life in our