Re: PBXs

Where do I start??

Steve Morgan wrote:

>Calum,
>
>I don't buy this future-proofing with fibre argument at all.

You don't have to, I'm not trying to sell it.

>Businesses aren't replacing copper with fibre at office level, they're
using it for the
>backbone, particularly between buildings.

Bollocks!! A very large number of companies are now running fibre to the
switches, with some migrating it to desktop level.
There's an article in Computer Weekly, Thurs 20 Dec, page 21 on it.
That's the only one of many I've studied I have to hand at the mo.

>At home, though, what use is fibre? Copper is plenty fast enough for
all but
>the most esoteric of uses and is far easier to interface to.

For the moment that is the case, I haven't even attempted to claim
otherwise. Once more I make the note that I am discussing the situation
in 3 or more years time.

>How expensive would KAT5 be if it used fibre rather than CAT5? And how
do you carry power
>over fibre?

Same answer as the above ... look down the line, not at the current
scenario.

>I think your assumption that fibre is the future of domestic networks
is
>flawed.

I  clearly disagree with you, but my thoughts are based on accurate fact.

>People have been saying that fibre is all things to all men for
>years and there's no evidence to suggest that they were correct.

There is a great deal of evidence to support the use [and indeed
necessity] for fibre in corporate environments if you bother to look for
it. I agree entirely that it has been overhyped and not suitable for
every envirnoment/application .. but then, neither is cat5e.

>I reckon that by the time we reach the point that UTP has had its day,
something else
>will be along to take its place and it probably won't be fibre.

Technologies like that take a long time to develop and reduce the cost
to an affordable level. I haven't looked, but unless there is an
alternative available right now [regardless of the cost] it is likely to
be a long time before it's technologically ready and affordable for home
use.

>If I was undertaking a new install now and wanted to future-proof, I'd
look
>to install ducting to allow me to install new media as and when.

An excellent idea whatever cabling you settle on :-)

>Putting fibre into the walls now would just be pouring money down the
drain.
>Just my opinion, like.

Yep, and the opinion of many others. But what of the cost of installing
fibre in a few years? obviously for those without ducting ;-)

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx