CAT5 was Re: PBXs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: CAT5 was Re: PBXs
  • From: Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:25:02 +0000

On Sunday 30 December 2001 22:47 pm, Timothy Morris wrote:
> I'm still prepared to be convinced, but I can't think of any possible
> applications (now or in the future that will require it. Bear in mind
> the fact that we are looking at three rooms - and lights curtains etc
> will all be wired in from day one.

If I could see into the future I'd not be scraping around for contracts to
do
to pay the mortgage :-)

> If you can come up with an application I'll put some in, but no-one
has
> so far.

I'm determined to make you install at least 1 drum of Cat5, it's my
mission.

What about these:

* Wiring for alarm sensors? You may upgrade your alarm at some point and
require extra cable for the sensors.

* Wiring for 1-wire sensors? Again, you might buy a Homevision or a Tini
that
can interface to the Dalsemi 1-wire net for remote sensing and monitoring
around the house. Both these could share different pairs in the same cable
run.

* CCTV. People on the list have succesfully used cat5 for CCTV. I know
CTxxx
might be better, but it's only a CCTV camera and having cat5 will again
allow
you to share the run with other devices, such as the Dalsemi stuff or a PIR
to activate the camera. I know you could implement this with a wireless
solution (XCam2 & Hawkeye's) but for most people they are prohibitevly
expensive.

Any of those take your fancy?

--

Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>