RE: PBXs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: PBXs
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:40:42 -0000

Calum,

I don't buy this future-proofing with fibre argument at all. Businesses
aren't replacing copper with fibre at office level, they're using it for
the
backbone, particularly between buildings.

At home, though, what use is fibre? Copper is plenty fast enough for all
but
the most esoteric of uses and is far easier to interface to. How expensive
would KAT5 be if it used fibre rather than CAT5? And how do you carry power
over fibre?

I think your assumption that fibre is the future of domestic networks is
flawed. People have been saying that fibre is all things to all men for
years and there's no evidence to suggest that they were correct. I reckon
that by the time we reach the point that UTP has had its day, something
else
will be along to take its place and it probably won't be fibre.

If I was undertaking a new install now and wanted to future-proof, I'd look
to install ducting to allow me to install new media as and when. Putting
fibre into the walls now would just be pouring money down the drain.

Just my opinion, like.

Steve