OT - quick regs question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT - quick regs question
  • From: "Tracey Gardner" <tracey.gardner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:52:44 -0000

Hello Paul

According to the IEE On Site Guide,

"Within the reach of a person using a bath or shower, there
should be no switch or other means of electrical control or
adjustment, except for,

(i)  the insulating cords of cord operated switches (the switch
body must be inaccessible)

Out of reach may be interpreted as more than 1.5m horizontally
>from
the bath.

So it's a cord operated switch that you need if its to be
operated from inside the bathroom.

Newey & Eyre do a 45A 1 way DP ceiling pull switch with Neon
Indicator Part No. CS445N, list price £13.58 + VAT.
At 45A it will handle a shower rated at over 10kW.

Tracey

>What are the regs regarding the isolation switch for a shower? -
not the
>switch itself, I know about the having to be double-pole and the
minimum air
>gap between contacts and all that. - that's sorted just by
buying the right
>kind of switch!
>
>But what are the regs (if any) regarding positioning of the
switch within
>the bathroom? - does it >have< to be reachable from within the
shower? can
>it be positioned inside the shower "enclosure"  (even if that
is
nothing