[OT] Network Techie's Advise Please

  • To: "Ukha_D@xxxxxxx Com" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] Network Techie's Advise Please
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:09:52 -0000

I bought this switch on eBay...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1317662225

It was DOA but thankfully I bought from a very repulatable company with a
30
day returns policy.  Anyway, I have returned it to them and they are
offering me this Cabletron unit as a replacement.  Can anyone advise me if
it's a good unit or not and if it is as good as the one I had bought?  It's
just for home use, upgrading from a hub.

Thanks

M.

Cabletron  ELS100-24TXM Ethernet switch. The switch is IEEE
802.1D-compliant
and supports 24 IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet ports. Each port
can alternatively operate as an IEEE 802.3i 10Base-T port. In addition,
two of the switch's ports support Fast Ethernet over fiber (IEEE 802.3u
100Base-FX) when a modular daughtercard is installed.

The Cabletron ELS100-24TXM switch automatically learns end-station
addresses from the network and stores them in a Media Access Control
(MAC) address forwarding table. Incoming packets are then forwarded to
the appropriate output port based on the addresses in the packet. Each
port on the switch operates at full Fast Ethernet wire speed with full
address and frame filtering.

The Cabletron ELS100-24TXM switch contains advanced features such
as Remote Monitoring (RMON), IEEE 802.1Q virtual LANs (VLANs),
IEEE 802.1p Class of Service, flow control and broadcast throttling. For
network management, the ELS100-24TXM switch includes a standards-compliant
Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) agent.

This agent allows network management station applications to collect and
present status and performance information about a switch as well as
providing the ability to configure and control functions on the device.
Network management can also be performed in-band using the popular
TCP/IP application, Telnet. In addition, a serial console port allows
out-of-band
management using a PC or an ASCII terminal.

The ELS100-24TXM switch is desktop or rack-mountable. LEDs on the front
panel provide
information about the operating status of the switch. The back panel of the
switch contains the power connector and a power switch. Two fans
maintain ventilation and cooling for internal switch components

The UKs Premier Home Automation Site
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk