Introduction

  • To: "Newsgroups" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Introduction
  • From: "Future-Homes" <paul@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:24:03 -0000

Now that I can finally reply to postings I would like to introduce myself
those who don't know me and take this opportunity to get to know those of
you out there who have an interest in Automation more on a professional
level than just DIY.

My name is Paul Grahamsley and Im an Electrical Technician based in
Hampshire. Im also an automation nut but on a more professional level
having
done several automation jobs.

My own home consists of the following

Homevision + Expansion Board
Comfort
Lots of x10 mainly LD11's
Ace running own front end unlike the usual(although no where near finished
and probably never will be)
2 Pronto's
Fujitsu web pad
100Tbase network
Wireless Lan
Compaq Ipaq

PC's are:-

Soundserver(win2k) for Mp3 only + server/client software that runs on
fujitsu

Homeserver(win2k) which has Homevision and comfort connected and runs Ace
Server and Ace Client.Also use this machine for all programming etc.

Webserver(win98) Runs a stripped version of Ace Client for the Ipaq and
Dialling into etc

Main PC (XP Pro) mainly used for anything else.Looks sexy too.

Node zero is 3/4 of my garage converted into an office where most of the
PC's
live(and me) and also amps etc for other rooms.

So my point for this?

Very keen to hear from anyone who is serious about home automation or more
interestingly has actually installed for others. I am very keen to maybe
build a business of others like us who have a good eye for automation and
the skills to do it. I have a good contact base and work in the pipeline
but
still don't feel that much of the equipment that we all use has the fail
safe factor or is anywhere ready for the masses, Can we do anything about
this I wonder???

However I think homevision is the best thing since sliced bread and is
probably the only thing I have ever brought that has kept me entertained
for
so long. Still not using it for its full potential. It just seems to do
everything you need and a whole lot more.........

I have just installed home vision and leopard in our new office which was
built around the concept that all x10 modules are located at the disboard
position and all switching is via homevision and momentary switches,this so
far is working very well with no x10 failure. Leopard talks to homevision
via x10 which whilst a little slow works great and does give huge
flexibility. Communication is both 2 way and leopard even displays temp
readings etc from homevision. Would like to however get them talking
through
Ace on RS232 which would be a huge leap foward,has anyone done this yet?

If anyone is interested in the above please drop me an email to
paul@xxxxxxx very interested in the professionals views.

Also what does everyone do here?

Has anyone thought about running courses for the beginners, especially
those
who ask very worrying Electrical questions sometimes.

Paul Grahamsley