Weird thought but hear me out...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Weird thought but hear me out...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:59:52 -0000

OK ... I was chatting with Brougham and Ken last night on IRC and had a
thought.

We have two loos here ... One downstairs and one upstairs. Neither Jo
nor I use the downstairs one but Edward does however he invariably
forgets to flush (or maybe the mechanism is too stiff for him or
something) so although Jo and I do make an effort to check each time we
pass there is often stuff left in there. (We have solved this by using
that loo as a storecupboard so he now can't use it.)

Anyway, what I was thinking was would it be possible to build a better
flush that could perhaps be automated at the same time? (For example
maybe automatically flush when the light is turned off?)

Now, joking about dump valves and strain guages aside I reckon this
should be possible. Using a small header tank up in the loft (you can
still get your measured flush that way) and with a goodly sized valve it
should be possible to get the flow that you need.

Laser.com have some 40mm valves that I'm informed are free flowing and
open rapidly (close speed isn't important) and a 40mm diameter pipe
should easily flow enough water to flush a loo. The only
"downside" is
that these valves are sourced in Canada so short of ordering pipework
and fittings from over there I'm not sure what is available over here
that is likely to be able to mate up.

Anyone got any ideas?

Phil

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx