Re: Re: Does HA increase you electiricty bills ?

> Anyone know how much difference it makes what sort of PC it is? I
> would suspect a speedy Athlon uses a lot of juice, but if you use a
> processor designed for mobile use you could decrease the power
> requirement quite a bit. I was looking at building a 'media' PC for
> the living room using a Via CPU. Apparently they run cool enough not
> to need a fan. Makes it quieter as well.

That's my thinking precisely (see sig).

> I would expect that most servers do not need to be super fast as they
> are mostly just storing files. You can use a basic graphics card.
> Possibly the hottest thing will be the disk. My IBM 46GB runs pretty
> hot.

The Barracudas from Seagate are supposed to be whisper quiet.  You can also
dissipate heat from thm a lot better by turning them upside down.

> There must be some sites with features on low energy PCs/

Andy
--
PC-Based Multimedia System
http://www.andylaurence.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pcbmms