RE: ADSL Price Reductions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ADSL Price Reductions
  • From: "Mark Kaye" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:38:04 -0000

Title: Message
No cable operator is a good thing!!  No competition means greater likelehood of take-up.  If you think you're in a bad position you should think about mine ;)  Look at the facts:

a) New housing estate > 1000 homes built. Construction still in progress
b) Telewest dominate surrounding area, but have not laid cable in new estate
c) Local Exchange not ADSL enabled
d) BT PSTN cable route meaning all homes on new estate are > 3.5km from exchange (despite being < 2km geographically from exchange)
e) 'Older' houses not on estate but _very_ near (< 100m) are < 2km cable length from the exchange

When you consider that 3.5km is the limit for current ADSL implementations then, basically, we're knackered.  The profile of people moving onto the estate is that of young - middle-aged families. i.e. bang on the profile for likely ADSL take-up.  There are also a high proportion of home workers.  RADSL is on trial right now by BT, but that means a loss of downstream performance at greater (> 3.5km) exchange distances which would take the service outside of that considered as broadband by the government (512k min for 'broadband' apparently).

So, basically, we're screwed.  Telewest have a local monopoloy and can not dig the road for at least 3 years (due to regulations).  BT haven't enabled the local exchange, and even if they did (unlikely given the above Telewest position), we wouldn't receive service due to line length restrictions!!

I personally am in the fortunate position of being able to take advantage of an EPS9 private circuit to a local ISP in the town centre.  We will be running G.SHDSL over the line.  Thankfully, my company is willing to pay for this!  However, it is far too expensive to even compete with BT ADSL.

These are the reasons why I have setup the Paxcroft Broadband campaign at http://www.paxcroft-broadband.org/