RE: Heating Question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Heating Question
  • From: "Kevin Wood" <kevin_wood@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:16:09 -0000

I have heard (haven't got round to trying it) that a low cost way of zoning
off a heating system with TRVs is to strap a small resistor to the valves
you want to control and dissipate a few watts of power in the resistor.
This
artificially increases the temperature of the TRV by a few degrees and
causes it to cut off the flow of water early.

I would imagine this doesn't give you the on/off control you'd get with a
motorised valve but could be useful for reducing the temperature of certain
"zones" to a "set back" temperature when not occupied.
Perhaps coupled with
a PIR in the room concerned. The degree of "set back" can be
adjusted by
varying the power into the resistor. Could even automate that if you fed
the
resistor with a PWM signal.

It has a few advantages, notably cost, the fact you don't have to drain
plumbing, etc. and it's easy to restore the system to it's original state.

SWMBO probably wouldn't even notice.

Kevin