RE: TiVo-ise your PC

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: TiVo-ise your PC
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:57:25 -0000

> Ideas like this are all very well and good and I do support the
thought
> and advancements in the technology to achieve this type of media
> convergence.

Agreed, I have been seriously experimenting with showshifter and
snapstream on and off for a few months. I know I want this sort of
facility, but have always thought they weren=92t quite ready. Being a
supporter of the PC for all things digital (!) I presumed that the PC
would be the way to go, so have been biding my time waiting for the
software and supporting hardware to mature.

With the recent special offer for the Tivo @ =A3199 I succumbed and
ordered one.=20

Got my TIVO yesterday and in 24 hours it has blown me away - even
without the upgrade to the new software version. I think the main issue
here is that it has been designed from the start to do exactly what it
does, from the interface, to the connections, to the remote, to the
remote support, to its simplicity, to its performance. It just works and
works bloody well.=20

It has got me thinking just how limiting trying to engineer a bog
standard PC to provide multifunctional capabilities is and how
successful dedicated boxes are proving to be - Homevision, TIVO, Xbox,
DDar, etc. Some may be based on standard PC innards but have been
engineered to perform specialized functions.=20

Has to be the way to go?

PS If you are still sitting on the fence about a TIVO purchase, just go
and get one. You will not be disappointed!!

Don