RE: [OT] USB2 on Laptops?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] USB2 on Laptops?
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:03:18 -0000

> I actually have quite a few Firewire peripherals ...
>
> Sony Handycam
> Canon XL1 Video Camera
> Pyro Webcam
>
> My lamp, Luxo, isn't firewire. Shame.
>
> > Stay chilled or I'll start talking crap again...
>
> Same applies here ;-)

[Kenneth Watt]

Wow, more than one Firewire device! :-)

I notice that two from three are video cameras and the third is...well a
camera! Can you please point me to the url's that detail Firewire:

Force Feedback gaming peripherals
Modems
Wireless AP's
Printers
Phone Chargers
Sound Devices (like the MS Sidewinder)
Scanners
ISDN TA's
Link cables, to enable Laplink to talk to my laptop through Firewire
Radio receivers
Graphics Tablets
Keyboards
Mice

And I really didn't think or look that hard to get this list...but I
think you'll get the point. Firewire was developed for and is used by,
in the main, video applications and the manufacturers of video
technology and whilst the format may have support in the video world, in
the PC one it has little to none.

I have said in many a post I fully support and endorse new technologies
but they must show to have several things the main two being:

1.   Tangible benefit to using them
2.   Backwards compatibility wherever possible

Firewire in my own, personal opinion has neither over USB2 and little
over USB1 with the exception of editing DV.

PITW, I have a Firewire port on my PC (bear in mind I keep everything
pretty much bang up to date), uses I have found for this port...ZERO!

K.