RE: [OT] USB2 on Laptops?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] USB2 on Laptops?
  • From: "Gerard McGovern" <stuff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:23:23 -0000

> > Number of USB 2.0 devices, marginal. Number of Firewire
> > devices =3D 100's. Why bother reinventing the wheel?
>=20
> Cheers Gerard,
>=20
> The whole point of USB 2.0 is that it is a faster version of=20
> USB 1.x and therefore has an existing base of peripherals=20
> without having to establish one.
>=20
> USB is a cheap to implement and widely supported interface=20
> which will allow firewire speeds without having to add an=20
> extra connector onto a device

USB 2.0 is actually quite expensive to implement. The chipset is roughly
3 times the cost of a standard USB 1.x one.

> > And how many USB 2.0 devices are there?
>=20
> At the moment not many but when I bought my Sony VAIO a=20
> couple of years ago I could find nothing except for video=20
> cameras to plug into it.

So surely the same will be true of USB 2.0? Why do you expect the
adoption of USB 2.0 to be quicker that that of Firewire?

> > > Actually I'm with you ... And at the same time what did we
need=20
> > > ATA33, ATA66, ATA100 and ATA133 for? Why did we get SCSI 2,
Wide=20
> > > SCSI and Ultra 160 SCSI? Yep ... Lets ban progress and stick
with=20
> > > exactly what we've got - incompatible niche market=20
> interfaces rather=20
> > > than something that has widespread acceptance.
> >=20
> > Did I say that? No.
>=20
> Sorry? It's exactly what you said! That standards should not=20
> be built on and enhanced.

No, I didn't say that at all. USB 2.0 is almost exactly the same as
Firewire.

> > Shortsightedness? I don't believe in reinventing the friggin'
> > wheel. USB 2.0 is almost exactly the same as Firewire. Why=20
> > didn't they devote the time they spent improving USB to some=20
> > other project?
>=20
> USB 2.0 is not reinventing the wheel - it's enhancing an=20
> exixting specification.

It is reinventing wheel when Firewire does almost the same job. The
example you gave of SCSI and IDE is an interesting one as both standards
do the same job very, very difrently. USB 2.0 and Firewire are so close
as to be pointless.

> > God you do talk crap.
>=20
> Ahhh ... I do like a nice reasoned discussion. What do you=20
> suggest we do next? Blow raspberries at each other and call=20
> each other names?

We could always fart in each other's faces ... that's a favourite of
mine.

=BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95
Gerard McGovern
Webmonkey to the stars

gerard@xxxxxxx
http://www.inkiboo.com

=BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95