RE: [OT] USB2 on Laptops?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] USB2 on Laptops?
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:37:47 -0000

> > > No, not built-in. Why bother with USB2 when we already have
> > Firewire?
> >
> > The huge quantity of USB 1.x peripherals may have something
> > to do with it...
>
> Well it's lucky that all laptops have USB 1.x then!!!

It certainly is ... And all those people lucky enough to have USB 2.0
ports will have lots and lots of USB peripherals already there to plug
in to them without having to wait for a few devices to connect to
them...

> Firewire has been around for years and does the job well.

Agreed but other than camcorders and a couple of scanners and hard discs
there really is sweet FA out there in the way of firewire peripherals
and what there is are at a premium price.

> What do we need USB 2.0 for?

Actually I'm with you ... And at the same time what did we need ATA33,
ATA66, ATA100 and ATA133 for? Why did we get SCSI 2, Wide SCSI and Ultra
160 SCSI? Yep ... Lets ban progress and stick with exactly what we've
got - incompatible niche market interfaces rather than something that
has widespread acceptance.

Thankfully not everyone shares your shortsightedness ... If they did
then computers would have never progressed beyond the original IBM XT.

Why do we need a different keyboard connector?

Why do we need a different mouse connector? Serial is fine.

Why do we need this IDE stuff? ST506 interfaces have been around for
years and do the job well.

Oh yeah ... But of course ... Going along this line of thought then your
FireWire would never have appeared but that wouldn't affect me at all so
why should I care about that? Just because *I* don't need firewire then
no-one else does either...

Phil