RE: TiVo-ise your PC

> > I think the high initial price of the units plus the ongoing
> > subscription (or even the 200 lifetime fee) are what put a
> > lot of people off. 600 quid is a lot for the masses to shell
> > out for something they're not sure about - especially when a
> > 150 VCR and a dozen tapes is 'good enough' for most ppl. That
> > plus crap marketing probably explains much of TiVo failing to
> > make a big impact.
>
> Where do you get 600 quid. Mine cost 200 plus the monthly sub, after I
> hack it if its still working I will pay the 200 with
> pleasure, its easly
> worth it for the lifestyle benefits. Actualy its going to pay for its
> self as I was using a PC dedicated to ShowShifter now I can
> sell it ;-)

I was referring to why it hasn't really taken off - at launch, it was 399
for the unit + either a 200 'lifetime of the box (not _your_ lifetime) or
10
a month subscription charge for the lifetime of the box.  Assuming the box
will last more than 20 months, the 200 lifetime sub makes more sense.
AFAIK, the 199 price of it now is only a fairly recent development.  The
subs remain the same though.....

200 does make it more attractive, but now SKY+ muddies the waters with some
better features, some worse, and at the pricepoint the TiVo was
originally....

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com