Re: OT: ISP questions + on topic PS

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: ISP questions + on topic PS
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:14:04 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Andy Laurence" <andylaurence@y...>
wrote:
> > One solution which is complete independant of any ISP is to=20
register a
> > domain with web/mail forwarding (like UKreg.com @ =A310 a year)
and=20
a host
> for
> > the actual mail-box (like 34sp.com @ =A312 a year). Has worked=20
flawless for
> > me. And I'm sure there are better deals to be had.
>=20
> 123reg.co.uk did both for me for =A38 or so.  Unfortunately, they=20
don't host
> DNS, only web forwarding.  If you want to use your own DNS server,=20
it's no
> problem, but the E-mail forwarding is then turned off.  I=20
discovered this
> after registering my domain.  I am now half-way though setting up=20
Exchange
> 2000 :-(
>=20
> Andy
> --
I used 123-reg to register the domain and hold the tag, I then=20
pointed at my own DNS, but as you point out, that disables their=20
email forwarding. It is a real pain. I am even thinking of switching=20
back to the 123-reg DNS and using web forwarding, but I really hate=20
that option.

I have to say that I am a little wary of using another DNS as mine is=20
already there. If my DNS fails then at least I have the possibility=20
of fixing it and anyway, as it is the same box as my web server, if=20
the box fails then it really doesn't matter if the DNS is still=20
working. It is a lot simpler if I handle everything on the one box=20
(these are not very high volume sites).

Graham