DDAR/Rio Receiver - aesthetics and sound quality

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: DDAR/Rio Receiver - aesthetics and sound quality
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk1" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:12:01 -0000

Well, I have both a DDAR and Rio, so I feel I can compare:

Firstly, they really are exactly the same device except for the=20
colour and physical button layout.

In terms of aesthetics, I have the DDAR (black) sitting on top of=20
some Meridian kit.

The Meridian kit is both black, and narrower than the 19" standard=20
that the other stuff is anyway. It's an older model, but looks very=20
similar to http://www.meridian.co.uk/p_568.htm=20

As such, the DDAR looks OK, albeit narrower still.

Downstairs, I have an old pair of Quad amps (the old-timers will know=20
exactly what I mean when I say 34/306 - the youngest group members=20
can rest secure in the knowledge that they went out of warranty=20
before you were born!)=20

The Quad amps are a greyish/silverish, and about the same width as a=20
Rio Receiver, so that's snap ;-)

In terms of sound quality, they aren't as good as a mid-range DVD=20
player, like the Pioneer 727 I use. They are, however, notably better=20
than even a very good VHS recorder. (I use the Loewe one.)

However, it's very easy to listen to them all day long, which is the=20
benchmark I usually use for determing sound quality (I get very fed=20
up if the quality isn't there, and turn off.)

I guess that MP3s, like all forms of perceptual encoding, work better=20
for some types of music than others.

Music that is engineered for people with cheaper sound systems (ie=20
teenagers) works well on MP3. Music that assumes that its listener=20
base are middle age men with expensive hi-fis (ie labels like=20
Hyperion) doesn't work so well.

The built-in amp sounds cheap. But given I only paid =A3100 each for=20
the Rios, that's fair - after all, =A3100 wouldn't buy me, say, a=20
separate CD player and amp!

I'd be interested in an Audiotron, primarily because I have a good=20
DAC, so the ability to bypass Rio's ADCs would be interesting.

Regards,

Mark