Re: OT : Home Cinrema Projection Screen

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT : Home Cinrema Projection Screen
  • From: "geraintuk" <geraintwilliams_uk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 22:33:51 -0000

Well I kept it stum, because it's my first foray into Front=20
projection, and it's not the normal choice of projector.

I got a Compaq MP2800 DLP Projector from ebay for =A3500, and it=20
arrived this morning. It's brand new !!!!!
Dabs are flogging the same model for over =A33000 without the=20
multimedia module that this also has.

Ok, so probably more suited to PC work, than out and out Home Cinema,=20
but I hooked it up to my laptop (StarWars DVD) and am astounded at=20
the quality. It's every bit as good as my Tosh Rear Projector, which=20
is now on it's way out the door.

Been speaking at length with Phil this evening, and have decided that=20
tthe perforated screen route just isn't viable, due to cost etc, so=20
i'm going for a static screen.

At least I can get curtains at the front now to make it feel like the=20
real cinemas of my youth as the Pearl & Dean advert comes on.

So at last I got a bargain, no one bid against me as the guy had=20
advertised it in totally the wrong section, so he had one bid, and=20
that was me, whereas there is another MP2800 on ebay that started=20
auctino today, and it's already over =A31200. Me feeling well-chuffed.
Mind you it was my birthday on Thursday, so nice to have some goodies=20
for a change :)

Next on the list, hook up the Tivo with some huge hard drives, and=20
get it in Node 0 along with one of the sky boxes, DVD changer and=20
hook it all up to the ipHomenet system. Oh what fun :)

Regards
Geraint.