RE: installing coax with a staple gun

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: installing coax with a staple gun
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 22:11:35 -0000

Hi Alex

NO !!!!

Staple guns are horrible things, I have one but never use it.

They are quick for installation which is why they are used, but in 20 years
as a Maintainence Engineer I lost count of the number of faults caused by
either staples through the cable or staples crushing the cable.

The problem is getting the tension setting right, too low and the staple
doesnt hold in the wood properly, too high and you crush the cable.

I ALWAYS use cable clips. They grip the sheath with the correct amount of
tension without damaging the cable. The correct way to install cable clips
is with the pin BELOW the cable on horizontal runs. That way if the clip
cracks with age the pin will still support the cable.

When fixing to a brick wall the easiest way to get the pins into the wall
without bending/shattering is to pick the join between the cement and the
brick. Use a lightish hammer with light rapid blows. Avoid the temptation
use a heavy hammer and wack for all you are worth. One of three things will
happen
1. The clip flies off into the way blue yonder at > 100mph
2. The pin bends
3. The hammer slips off and destroys the cable.

<Norm Abram Mode>
ALWAYS REMEMBER TO WEAR SAFETY GLASSES
</Norm Abram Mode>

I have had my say on cabling now, if you wish to use a staple gun then the
choice is yours but having spent many hours in the pouring rain renewing
cables that had gone faulty because of staple damage, I *PERSONALLY* hate
them with a passion.

Keith