RE: OT W2k or XP pro for a laptop

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT W2k or XP pro for a laptop
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 20:34:35 -0000

What Phil said, plus it has some really clever features.

I couldn't live without remote desktop (Terminal Services), plus I've
used Remote Assistance on a few occaisions.

The really cool feature though is when you want to upgrade your PC. I
did it last week - new mainboard with a different chipset, and an Athlon
rather than a PIII. You simply do an ASR backup of the system drive to a
spare HD, boot from the XP CD, select ASR - put the ASR floppy in the
drive. It does a mini setup of XP (10 minutes just to recognise all the
hardware), then automatically restores all your programs, documents,
settings, service packs etc.

A lot of the improvements to XP are way below the surface.....

Tim.